Monday, January 19, 2009

homework #1

1.) Why are you taking Leadership for Change?

Over the course of my first two years here at UIC, my plan for post-collegiate life has been quite ambiguous.  At first I wanted to be a Physical Therapist but after failing Earth and Environmental Science and nervousness of taking Chemistry because of my distaste for math, I decided that wasn't for me.  Then, I decided I wanted to be a teacher. Though I love children and still want to work with urban youth, I realized that I do not want to be in a classroom for 6 hours everyday. So, formal teaching is out also.   I have many gifts and feel I am talented in many areas, but I cannot decide exactly what I want to do with my life.  Hopefully, by the end of this semester, I will at least be a few steps closer to my purpose in life.

2.) What do you hope to get out of this course?

Aside from the aforementioned things,  I hope this course points me in the right direction of an interesting vocation, not just a job.  I hope this class gives me the tools and skills needed to gather all of my talents in order to form one giant ball of meaningful and productive creativity.

3) Who were you as a child?

As a child, I was a pretty average child in most aspects of life.  Although, I was a "tomboy" for most of my youth and still am today i.e. loved playing sports while the other girls jumped "double-dutch" and traded "gel pens."  This can probably be attributed to the fact that I was the only girl, growing up with 4 boys.  I would have to say that I lived through all of my senses.  I was very inquisitive.  I played with everything I could get my hands on or reach, no matter  how dirty: toilet paper and garbage straight from the can.  I watched and listened to my brothers and often times tried to mimic their words and actions.  I wanted to be just like them when I grew up, well....in most ways.  I loved karate and am still a studying martial artist today.  In fact, I dreamed that I would one day become a Power Ranger.  I am definitely still a kid at heart.  I am still very observant, love to play basketball, love teaching and studying karate, and still idolize both of my brothers aside from all vices they may possess.   


1 comment: